SHERMAN, Tex. - The Austin College Women's Tennis Team fell late in a thrilling home match against the Schreiner University Mountaineers with the deciding point coming on the final singles match of the day.
Doubles went the way of the Mountaineers on Lines 2 and 3, with the tiebreaking doubles point coming on court 2 with White/Lide falling 9-8 (7-5) to give Schreiner at 2-1 lead going into singles. But not before Ortiz/Weber moved to 8-3 (3-0) on the year at Line 1 Doubles with a win over Anguiano/Miller 8-5.
With the score now 3-2 in favor of the visitors, the 'Roos collected a huge win from Sophomore co-Captain Grace Ortiz at Line 3 6-3, 6-2. Freshman Kirsten Weber fought hard for a 1st set victory at Line 1 7-6 (7-1) and then pushed the 'Roos ahead 4-3 with a 6-1 victory in the 2nd set.
Magan Green gave her Line 5 opponent all she could handle, but fell 7-5, 6-4, putting Line 6 singles squarely in the driver's seat, match tied 4-4.
Katie Barber took the first set 7-6 (7-3) to take the lead in the deciding match, but fell 6-3 in the second set to force a 3rd set decision for the team match. After grabbing a 5-2 lead, the Mountaineer singles player made all the shots she needed to, winning 5 straight games and grabbing a 6-7 (3), 6-3, 7-5 victory for the decision.
Thank you to all of the fans, friends, and family members that came out to the match. The atmosphere was electric because of you and we hope you enjoyed the competition and were proud of our young women and continue to come out to more home matches.
Austin College returns to action on the road vs. Dallas Baptist University at 10:00am on Saturday, April 9th.
Austin College 4, Schreiner University 5
Elizabeth Russell Tennis Center
1. Kirsten Weber (AC) def. Alex Wheeler (SU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
2. Karyn Swink (SU) def. Meghan White (AC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Grace Ortiz (AC) def. Camila Anguiano (SU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Carlye Lide (AC) def. Abby Knedlik (SU) 6-0, 2-2 ret. (inj)
5. Kelsey Buczkowski (SU) def. Magan Green (AC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Katie Smith (SU) def. Katie Barber (AC) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 7-5
1. Weber/Ortiz (AC) def. Anguiano/Miller (SU) 8-5
2. Buczkowski/Wattes (SU) def. White/Lide (AC) 9-8 (5)
3. Swink/Smith (SU) def. Barber/Green (AC) 8-1
Austin College: 6-5 (1-2)
Schreiner University: 10-5 (2-1); #20 Regional Ranking
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (4, 2, 3, 1, 5, 6)