ABILENE, Tex. - In the final match of a two-day road trip, the Austin College Men's Tennis Team fixed their doubles woes felt in the first match of the trip before falling in a closely contested match-up to McMurry University.
The Line 2 Doubles Team of Erik Meendsen and Preston Glasscock was just as efficient in their performance, winning 8-3 over the Warhawks' Jones & Rodriguez. At the conclusion of doubles play, the score favored Austin College 2-1.
Although several matches were much more competitive than last year's one-sided event, Austin College would claim no singles matches in singles play. Ambulo would be the only Kangaroo to win a set against his opponent, but would fall in a challenging third-setter at Line 1.
William Crouch would battle back from a 5-1 deficit on Line 5 singles to force a tiebreaker, but would not have enough shots left in his bag, with McMurry claiming the 'breaker 7-5 for a 6-2, 7-6 (5) result.
The winds of change are blowing through the tennis courts in Sherman, TX as Austin College fell 9-0 to McMurry at home last season, almost exactly one year ago. A lot of room for improvement is left for AC, but the team is becoming more competitive with every match they play.
The Austin College Men's Tennis Team plays their first home match of the year against SCAC Rival Southwestern University on Saturday, February 13th at 10:00 AM
Austin College 2, McMurry 7
Seidel-Swagerty Tennis Center
1. Carlos Perez (McM) def. Cedric Ambulo (AC) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Rayce Roberson (McM) def. Erik Meendsen (AC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Hunter Ward (McM) def. Josh Granberry (AC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Clayton Pope (McM) def. Preston Glasscock (AC) 6-4, 6-2
5. Kie Jones (McM) def. William Crouch (AC) 6-2, 7-6 (5)
6. Kendal Mann (McM) def. Jeff Kubena (AC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Ambulo/Granberry (AC) def. Perez/Ward (McM) 8-3
2. Meendsen/Glasscock (AC) def. Jones/Rodriguez (McM) 8-3
3. Roberson/Mann (McM) def. Kubena/Crouch (AC) 8-5
Austin College: 1-2 (0-0)
McMurry University: 3-2 (2-1)
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 6)