GEORGETOWN, TX – The Men's Tennis Team from Austin College opened the 2015 SCAC Tournament with a rematch against the Schreiner University Mountaineers. Although the decision went to SU 5-1, the match was exciting, engaging, and electric; everything you would want in a college tennis match.
Austin College scored the first point by way of an impressive 8-3 doubles win by Daniel Oxenreiter and David Smith at Line 2. But after Schreiner tied the match 1-1 with a win at Line 3, Cedric Ambulo and Erik Meendsen forced a pivotal tiebreaker at Line 1 to decide the advantage going into singles.
A back and forth contest went the way of the Mountaineers in the end, but a 7-5 decision in a final match tiebreaker is a far from one-sided result.
Schreiner kept momentum on their side going into singles, clinching the 6-1 decision with courts 1, 3, and 4, but the Kangaroos earned the respect of their opponents, fans, and conference affiliates alike with the fight they showed in the first round.
Austin College returns to the courts to face Centenary College at 9am, April 25th at Georgetown High School.
Austin College 1, Schreiner University 6
April 24, 2015
Southwestern University Tennis Center
SCAC Conference Tournament – First Round
1. Nick Pena (SU) def. Cedric Ambulo (AC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Austin Carrola (SU) def. Erik Meendsen (AC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Dayton Hancock (SU) def. Daniel Oxenreiter (AC) 6-4, 6-1
4. Isaac Vasquez (SU) def. Zach Bomar (AC) 6-1, 6-2
5. David Smith (AC) vs. Josh Ramirez (SU) 3-6, 2-5 sspd
6. Jeff Kubena (AC) vs. Christian Casillas (SU) 0-2 sspd
1. Pena/Carrola (SU) def. Meendsen/Ambulo (AC) 9-8 (5)
2. Oxenreiter/Smith (AC) def. Hancock/Rogers (SU) 8-3
3. Lozano/Vasquez (SU) def. Kubena/Bomar (AC) 8-3
Austin College: 4-11 (1-4)
Schreiner University: 9-10 (3-1)
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1) Singles (4, 1, 3, 2)