SHERMAN, TX – The Austin College Men's Tennis Team got its first win of the season. The Eagles of Southwestern Christian University came in to Sherman to hand the 'Roos their 10th loss of the year, but the unrelenting Kangaroo Men's Tennis Players came prepared and ready to compete.
As they have in the past, the 'Roos came out hot in doubles play, getting early leads on all three courts. But the Eagles swooped in and got up a break on courts 1 and 2.
When Jacob Morgan and Jeff Kubena scored the first doubles point of the year for Austin College, and electricity swept across their teammates' courts and encouraged them to rally.
Cedric Ambulo and Erik Meendsen broke serve to send their match into a tiebreaker, and took the breaker 7-4. Daniel Oxenreiter and David Smith held-broke-held to force the match to 7-7, when each side held once more to force a tiebreaker. Smith and Oxenreiter would also win their tiebreaker 7-4 to complete the sweep.
The Kangaroos carried that momentum into singles play as Jeff Kubena and Jacob Morgan would get the first two courts in singles in the 'Roos, this time to clinch the first team victory for the spring.
Ambulo and Meendsen would both force super-tiebreakers, but only Meendsen would win his third set as Ambulo would fall 10-4. Oxenreiter made it two in a row in singles with a 7-6 (5), 6-2 victory on Line 3 for the first time, and David Smith would grind out a gritty 7-5, 6-3 win at Line 5.
Austin College is back in action at The University of Texas - Dallas, tomorrow April 12 at 12:00pm.
Austin College 8, Southwestern Christian University 1
April 11, 2015
Elizabeth Russell Tennis Complex
1. Alistair Sandercock (SCU) def. Cedric Ambulo 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
2. Erik Meendsen (AC) def. Jose Nino (SCU) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (7)
3. Daniel Oxenreiter (AC) def. Stephen Baker (SCU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
4. Jacob Morgan (AC) def. Isaiah Island (SCU) 6-1, 6-0
5. David Smith (AC) def. Alex Eakers (SCU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Jeff Kubena (AC) def. W. Long (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Ambulo/Meendsen (AC) def. Nino/Baker (SCU) 9-8 (4)
2. Oxenreiter/Smith (AC) def. Sandercock/Island (SCU) 9-8 (4)
3. Kubena/Morgan (AC) def. Eakers/Zac Owen (SCU) 8-1
Austin College: 1-9 (0-3)
Southwestern Christian University: 4-5
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1, 2) Singles (4, 6, 1, 2, 5, 3)