SHERMAN, TX – The Arizona Christian University Firestorm came into Sherman, TX and left with a win against the Austin College Kangaroo Men's Tennis Team 9-0.
Doubles was as competitive as ever for the 'Roos at Line 3 doubles with Jacob Morgan and Jeff Kubena. But a late break of serve at 7-7 by the Firestorm combined with a critical hold at 8-7 sealed the doubles sweep for ACU and put Austin College in a familiar hole down 0-3.
ACU stormed into singles competition, winning all six first sets, but the 'Roos battled back with a gritty performance from Daniel Oxenreiter at Line 4 and Jeff Kubena on court 5. Oxenreiter's leg cramps would prevent what looked to be a potential third-set tiebreaker to decide the match, but Kubena rallied and closed out the second set with precise serving to force the match into a third and final set.
Kubena would fall 10-8 in the super-tiebreaker, but splitting sets after dropping the first set 6-1 was the result he needed to build confidence for future matches.
Austin College continues their pursuit of their first doubles win and first team win this spring next Friday, April 10th against the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. First serve starts at 1:00pm.
Austin College 0, Arizona Christian University 9
March 30, 2015
Elizabeth Russell Tennis Center
- S. Galeffi (ACU) def. C. Ambulo (AC) 6-1, 6-1
- T. Cawthorne (ACU) def. E. Meendsen (AC) 6-2, 6-2
- M. Manguia (ACU) def. J. Morgan (AC) 6-0, 6-0
- D. Castano (ACU) def. D. Oxenreiter (AC) 6-2, 6-4
- A. Bedard (ACU) def. J. Kubena (AC) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
- A. West (ACU) def. D. Smith (AC) 6-4, 6-2
- Galeffi/Cawthorne (ACU) def. Ambulo/Meendsen (AC) 8-3
- Manguia/Castano (ACU) def. Oxenreiter/Smith (AC) 8-2
- Bedard/Newberry (ACU) def. Kubena/Morgan (AC) 9-7
Austin College: 0-7 (0-3)
Arizona Christian: 7-12
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 1, 3) Singles 3, 1, 2, 6, 4, 5)