ABILENE, Tex. - The Austin College Men's Tennis Team opened their season on the campus of Hardin-Simmons University, and fell to the Cowboys 7-2 when the dust settled.
The doubles duos started out slow, playing defensively rather than aggressively seeking to finish the point at the net. Cedric Ambulo and Josh Granberry had two opportunities to take the lead late in their pro-set, but could not hold serve late even though they broke HSU's serve to keep the match from ending 8-6.
After a brief refresher during the break between doubles and singles, the 'Roos came out reinvigorated across all six courts, forcing three 3-set matches against tough opponents. Erik Meendsen and Preston Glasscock got their first singles wins of the year early in the 2015-16 campaing with Meendsen rolling to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Griffin Weinkam and Preston digging deep to find a third-set victory over B.J. Farmakis 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2).
Austin College returns to the court at 3:30 PM today against Howard Payne University on the campus of Hardin-Simmons University.
Hardin-Simmons 7, Austin College 2
Hardin-Simmons Tennis Complex
1. Alex Hunt (HSU) def. Cedric Ambulo, 6-2, 6-0
2. Erik Meendsen (AC) def. Griffin Weinkam, 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Gutierrez (HSU) def. Josh Granberry, 6-4, 6-1
4. Preston Glasscock (AC) def. B.J. Farmakis, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
5. Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. William Crouch, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Michael Boyd (HSU) def. Jeff Kubena, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Hunt/Eurek (HSU) def. Ambulo/Granberry, 9-7
2. Chandler Livingston/Kennan Nash (HSU) def. Meendsen/Glasscock, 8-4
3. Farmakis/Frankie Sanchez (HSU) def. Kubena/Crouch, 8-2
Austin College: 0-1 (0-0)
Hardin-Simmons: 3-1 (2-1)
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (1, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6)